Sun Valley is one of the few resorts that do not offer ski in / ski out accommodations, but rather you’ll stay nearby about 1-2 miles away in Ketchum – or a few more miles away at the Sun Valley Village. There are also some budget oriented hotels found near the airport, for those looking to shave a few dollars. For those looking to stay closer to the slopes, you can go to VRBO or similar and find some nice condo’s and homes located near the Warm Springs Base Area.
We chose to stay at the Limelight Hotel and catch the quick shuttle to the lifts and select restaurants like The Ram. Fortunately the Limelight offers a free shuttle that takes you to the slopes every 15 mins, or on demand with a reservation request. We also caught their free shuttle from the airport, making for an easy and seamless trip without the need for a car or uber. Pro Tip: When you book at the Limelight, call into the reservations and ask for the Bald Mountain side of the property. The other side is on the street which is loud and not as nice of a view.
The most Iconic Hotel Property is the Sun Valley Lodge, where you get a bit of the history and legacy of Sun Valley. Whatever you choose, in general it’s quite close to where you want to be. This is a small town, and everything is easily accassable.
Nightlife – Downtown Sun Valley
The town of Ketchum / Downtown Sun Valley offers a wide range of great restaurants & bars. You can get Steaks, Sushi, Pizza, Mexican, SE Asian, Seafood and more…
You should try a few favorites:
- Vintage – Amazing upscale intimate dining experience. Great steak, seafood, and wine selection. Plan to drop some $$$$ here, but well worth the experience. Dinner for 2 will run you more than $200 with a bottle of wine.
- Pioneer Saloon – This is a super fun place to go, and a must on any budget. There’s a ton of local flare, history, animals on the walls, posters, etc. Probably the funnest place in town. You must get their huge Idaho Potato…
- Roundhouse – Must go, must go, must go. The food is very good and the experience is one of a kind. We had the fondu which most have, and it was super fun. Great wines, super salads, and overall amazing dining experience.
- Warfield Distillery – This is a fun downtown bar / restaurant / saloon with some awesome home made whiskey. The locals are cool, and the waiters are very friendly. Highly recommend for a low key, fun experience
- The Ram – This is out at the Sun Valley Lodge / Village – I included this in as everyone does, but I would say avoid. The service was over the top snooty, food is average with high pricing, and the dining room is dated and in poor repair.
Where to stay in Sun Valley